04 January, 2009

Preston vs. Liverpool Post Match Review

I told Rafa during our mid-week training that I want to play today because I want to thank my fans and supporters for their unconditional support during this tough period. 

Personally, I know that the only way to clear my mind these days is to score a hat-trick of goals and assists in an official game… preferably ManU or Everton.  But since Preston is our upcoming game, I knew they were the unfortunate ones.

When Rafa asked me to give him my line-up, I have to admit that my version of the team-sheet includes a few of our Reserve players.  But when I saw Rafa’s team-sheet, it tells me that he means business this time!  With our next game in a week’s time, I supposed we can afford to send out our full squad to ensure a passage to the next round of FA Cup. 

The game started off a bit rust for me, and the team.  I could clearly see that Bable, Mascherano, and Keane are a bit off with their passes in the beginning.  But as we settled down a bit, I began to find my rhythm and made a few killer-passes.  Unfortunately, Keane failed to convert those opportunities.  Riera’s shot was awesome!  The result came instantly after Sammy Lee told Babel and Riera to switch side after 20 minutes.  Sadly though, Alonso was injured right before half time.  It looked serious and only an x-ray can tell how serious was the injury.  

The second half was more or less the same.  It’s good to see Mellor did relatively well up-front.  I saw him made a few good looking passes in the second half.  Credit to Preston, they really tried to come-back but our defense line held up nicely! 

To compensate the sad news of Alonso’s injury, it’s good to see that Torres made a return to action.  Yeah, I know I could have scored that goal myself; I just want to give it to Torres to celebrate his return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment